Lead Developer (Front-end)
Wellington, New Zealand
This position is now closed
Lead front end developer | Next generation front end UI/UX.
- New front end stack for innovative and market-leading cloud-based SaaS application
- Lead and grow a team of experienced, passionate, and talented individuals
- Product led environment with a worldwide client base
Outstanding opportunity for a sharp, high performing lead to develop and transform the front end of our product, using the latest in front end tech.
A bit about Arlo!
Arlo is an award-winning global business based in central Wellington.
Here at Arlo, we believe that human interaction is still at the heart of effective learning. Blend that philosophy with the latest elearning tech, Arlo is fast becoming the preferred solution of choice for commercial training providers globally.
Arlo has been developed as the definitive tool to run a training operation, helping our clients save time, grow sales and transform the way their training is delivered. With customers in over 70 countries and processing over $1b, Arlo is the realisation of that vision.
That success is put down to a combination of super talented and passionate individuals, who never stop pushing the envelope and with the single-minded focus to make training management easy and accessible.
About the role
Unique opportunity for a sharp, experienced lead developer to implement our next-generation UX and UI, using the latest in frontend tech.
We are looking for a seasoned expert in front end web technologies who has played a leadership role in the development of transforming code bases, key projects, someone who is an exceptional developer with experience in technical leadership, communicating with stakeholders, and guiding other developers in the team.
Team and cultural fit are very important. You will need to have a strong work ethic and loads of initiative, be a team player and enjoy contributing to and debating ideas. This is an environment where everyone works hard but still has time for a laugh, and where we are all passionate about our product and the future ahead.
You will be responsible for:
- Proven experience in transforming a code base and on its timely execution
- Excellent stakeholder management, including updating on progress and in risk management
- Leading technical development of key front end features, including mentoring other team members involved in delivering those features as well as leading and empowering direct reports in all things front end development
- Working with the product owner, architect and backend lead developer in planning and designing new front-end features.
- Hands-on involvement in application development, testing and deployment activities.
- Promoting a focus on DevOps, including integrating performance and telemetry data from frontend perspective.
- The continual improvement of internal processes, including Q/A, code reviews, and improving our CI systems.
- Promoting industry design standards and development principles.
- Assist in growing the team by sourcing and recruiting professionals to join the team.
- A highly motivated and passionate person who wants to be part of a team of high achievers.
- Been accountable for the design, implementation and delivery of the technical front end.
- Hard-working, willing to do what needs to be done when the pressure is on.
- Someone who knows how to have fun and interacts well on a personal level; team fit is important.
- A good communicator with the ability to help motivate other developers and create a dynamic and cohesive team.
- Have an eye for design and a passion for keeping up with the latest web design trends.
- Have a passion for keeping up with the latest technology in all aspects of software development.
- Excellent time management skills to identify and communicate risks early that may affect the achievement of key milestones.
Experience & qualifications
We are seeking someone who has:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with at least 2 years of experience as a lead developer, technical lead, or similar role.
- Previous management, empowerment and motivation of direct reports
- Experience architecting large front-end codebases, including build and deployment processes in server-side web development stacks.
- A talent for building reusable components and front-end libraries for future use.
- Experience translating designs and wireframes into high-quality code, working with a product team and graphic designers.
- Experience communicating with stakeholders across all levels.
- Team motivation and engagement attitude.
Experience in any of the following would be an advantage, but is not essential:
- Knockout, React, Vue or Angular
- Experience using (and deploying applications into) cloud hosting services such as AWS or Azure, including designing front end stacks and build processes that use CDNs
- Experience with backend technologies such as C#, .NET Core, WebAPI
Soon to be Petone, Wellington (the silicon valley of NZ).
At the moment our offices are in Lower Hutt and boast magnificent views of the river, offer easy access to cafes’ and best of all, the parking is free!
Product and clients
Clients include high profile organisations such as PricewaterhouseCoopers, Thomson Reuters, The University of Auckland, Victoria University, Opus, and Pearson.
- Competitive salary package
- Located in Wellington with a diverse and friendly team
- Great sized workspace, dual 4K monitor setup
- We have an active social club, regular massage days, a weekly basketball game and regular poker and board game nights
- Regular team days – the last one had us hanging 30m above the ground at Adrenalin forest
This position is now closed.