A bit about us
Arlo is an award-winning global business with HQ in Wellington, New Zealand and offices in the UK and Canada.
We believe that human interaction is still at the heart of effective learning. Blend that philosophy with the latest elearning tech, Arlo is fast becoming the preferred solution of choice for commercial training providers globally.
Arlo has been developed as the definitive tool to run a training operation, helping our clients save time, grow sales and transform the way their training is delivered. With customers in over 70 countries and processing over $1b since conception, Arlo is the realisation of that vision.
That success is put down to a combination of super talented and passionate individuals, who never stop pushing the envelope and with the single-minded focus to make training management easy and accessible.
What you’ll do
As a Development Team Lead, you will inspire your team in a way that builds commitment and motivates them to achieve high performance and excellence. Your team’s primary objective is to optimize and deliver value to our customers that is strategically aligned with our product roadmap and company vision.
Applying SCRUM/Agile principles with a pragmatic approach while engaging with key stakeholders is critical to ensure the team is focused on and aligned with the current priorities. A desire for continuous improvement with a positive and self-reliant attitude is essential to meet the expectations around the productivity, cohesion, and happiness of each individual in your team, including yourself.
- Design, plan and deliver new product features, working closely with the product owner, project lead and principal software engineer to collectively manage scope and priorities to meet key objectives
- Develop, test and deploy robust web applications and services while ensuring DevOps principles, reliability and maintainability are considered
- Evaluate and influence the performance of the team and individuals to optimize delivery, team cohesion and satisfaction
- Refine internal processes within and across teams and departments to ensure the right people are engaged at the right times to support productivity or remove impediments
- Communicate progress, status and risks to key stakeholders in a timely and effective manner so potential impacts and dependencies can be mitigated
- Facilitates and supports all Scrum events, including but not limited to:
- Understanding of dependency injection, IoC concepts, SOLID principles
- Daily Scrum/Standups
- Sprint Planning
- Backlog Grooming/Refinement
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
- Lead, grow and develop direct reports
- Ensure the team are continuously developing and have learning and development plans in place for the skills we need now and in the future
- Recruit, train and integrate new members of the team
- Role model our values and set clear expectations by giving clear and honest feedback, and promptly address any performance or behaviour issues
- Build and promote a positive working environment for the team
You’ll be able to demonstrate the experience, knowledge and capabilities required to be successful in this role:
Experience & qualifications
- A minimum of 5 years hands on software engineering experience.
- A minimum of 2 years team lead with management responsibilities.
- Extensive experience in the development of C# data-driven web applications with a heavy focus on use and development of REST web APIs consumed by client and/or server side code.
- Robust understanding of modern DevOps principles and cloud architecture delivered on AWS or Azure.
- CI/CD pipelines (e.g. Azure DevOps)
- Infrastructure as code (e.g. CloudFormation)
- Microservices and Containers (e.g. ECR)
- Serverless approaches (e.g. Lambdas/SQS)
- It would be an advantage to have
- University degree in related field
- Agile/SCRUM, DevOps or Software Engineering certifications
- Experience working with Learning and/or Event Management systems
- Knowledge & skills
- Applying OWASP principles throughout the design and development of applications, using the least
- privilege approach to minimize risk
- A solid understanding of scrum and agile best practices applied with a pragmatic balance between process and efficiency.
- A track record of stakeholder management and communication across all levels, including internal and external clients or vendors.
- Comfort in a startup environment where you need to move quickly and independently while wearing many different hats.
|Set clear expectations for staff.|
Hold people accountable for meeting expectations.
Explore underlying barriers to high levels of performance.
Provide constructive feedback.
Seek to understand underperformance and address swiftly and directly
from a position of empathy.
|Delegating||Identify the actions the team needs to take.|
Understand what is realistic to expect of staff.
Make considered delegation decisions.
Maintain oversight of the team’s work programme.
|Connecting||Read ‘what is not being said’ in situations.|
Actively listen to others and reflect back an in-depth understanding of their
perspectives, feelings and concerns.
Establish rapport with new people.
Support others and provide advice
|Collaborating||Build and leverage internal relationships to achieve the objectives of your|
Identify opportunities to collaborate with your peers and stakeholders to
achieve mutual goals.
|Inclusiveness||Make informed decisions and calculated risks to resolve arising problems with|
the ability to reflect and learn from previous experiences and key outcomes,
both good and bad.
|Stay resilient, calm, and optimistic in the face of obstacles, volatility,|
uncertainty, ambiguity and complexity.
Respond quickly and flexibly to work demands.
Support team members to build their flexibility, resilience and wellbeing.
|Persuasiveness||Identify constructive solutions to disagreements.|
Bring others on the journey by informing and involving them.
|Developing self and others||Understand your strengths and personal development areas.|
Set and achieve development goals.
Recognise your direct reports’ individual values, motivators and strengths.
Involve individual team members in work that assists their development.
Coach and mentor others.
Help staff to devise actionable development plans.
Recognise and reward high performance.